I’m loving Matt Barone’s list of The Best 25 Horror Movies Streaming on Netflix Right Now. This is another one of his picks. I’ve put the entire list in my queue.
Samantha (Najarra Townsend) gets mad at her girlfriend Nikki (Katie Stegeman) when she doesn’t come to her best friend Alice’s party (Alice MacDonald), so she gets drunk and sleeps with a stranger. She contracts the worst STD ever.
- Alice is hilarious, as is her drug dealer Zain (Charley Koontz).
- It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You yell, “Samantha, if you’re throwing up blood, you should tell your mother!” and “If your fingernails are falling off, don’t make the salads!” and “Your girlfriend doesn’t like you anyway, so you don’t have to keep your STD a secret!”
- The ending is perfect.
Dark Muse Value
This movie raises questions like:
- How can families rebuild trust with members recovering from chemical dependencies?
- How can we best support friends and family members infected with STDs?
- How does shame impact our self-preservation?
- What makes self-destruction appealing?