The drought continued last week with The Ward. Stay tuned this week to see if we get an early spring shower!
Set in a 1960’s asylum, we follow Kristen, a criminal pyro, who is trying to figure out how to escape the ward before its resident ghost kills all the patients.
Where It Went Wrong
- Aggravating unknowns–Why are there only five people in the ward? Why can the ghost touch people and walk through walls? Why does it look like an angry zombie? Why is Kristen running through a forest soaking wet at the film’s opening?
- Twist transferral–Same twist done better in other movies.
- Supporting cast–The other patients don’t add near as much depth and motivation as they should. Lots of missed opportunities to foreshadow the reveal.
What to Watch Instead
- American Horror Story: Asylum
- Grave Encounters
- Disturbing Behavior
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (not horror, but a much better asylum story)
What did you think?
Which better asylum movies would you recommend?
What Others Thought